Tuesday 14 January 2014

Lj's Homemade Spiced Tomato Ketchup


I love the smell of the house while making home made sauces! Here's a Tomato Ketchup recipe I have been making for years. I generally change it up every time! Here is the version I made over the weekend :-)

Ingredients:

2 Kg of Ripe Truss Tomatoes Diced
4 Small White Onions Finely Chopped
4 Cloves of Fresh Garlic Crushed
2 Granny Smith Apples Diced
1 1/2 Cups of Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Cups of White Vinegar
1/2 Cup of Balsamic Vinegar
1 Teaspoon of Black Peppercorns
6 Cloves
1/2 a Cinnamon Stick
1 Fresh Bay Leaf
1 Tablespoon of Curry Powder

What to do:

In a piece of cheesecloth add the Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf, Cloves and Peppercorns and tie to secure. Add all of the other ingredients in a large saucepan or non stick frypan. Stir to combine. Bring it to the boil and then let it simmer until all of the ingredients are very tender. Discard the cheesecloth bag and use a stick mixer or blender to puree the sauce. Sometimes I strain it through a fine sieve to remove the seeds but this time I decided to leave it as it. I find that when you don't strain it and leave it sit in a dark spot for a few months it intensifies the flavour. In saying that it never lasts that long in this house.

Cooks tips: Replace the Vinegar's with 2 cups of Malt Vinegar, today I just used what I had as I had run out of Malt Vinegar. Try it with Apple Cider Vinegar its LUSH!


This morning I served some of this luscious sauce with some Breakfast fritters.
You can find the recipe here:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts